Brewster Recreation Department
Skip to nav
Available positions will be posted here and this page will be updated regularly. We hire the following positions during the summer season: Lifeguards, WSI, Sailing Instructors/Director. Not all positions may be available, see below for specific openings.
Interested applicants can fill out an application, found below at bottom of page. Applications need to be submitted with a cover letter. Please return letter and application to:
Brewster Recreation Department
2298 Main St
Brewster, MA 02631
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Available Positions, see description below: (updated 3/1/21)
25-35 Hours Weekly
Under close supervision of the Swim Director or Recreation Director performs professional duties in ensuring effective performance of lifeguard functions. Ensures safety of patrons in and around the pond and monitoring swimmers and to enforce all safety rules.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
* Performs all lifeguard responsibilities including monitoring pond activities, applying first aid, and performing water rescues as necessary.
* Keeps the Head Lifeguard well informed of pond/beach maintenance needs including cleaning and repairs.
* Inventories and recognizes when supplies or equipment need to be ordered and
communicates the needs to the Head Lifeguard or Recreation Director.
* Interfaces with patrons regarding concerns, problems, or any other significant issues.
Provides input and feedback while responding to problems.
* Plans and organizes personal class teaching outlines, methods and goals that support the
general teaching outlines provided by the Swim/Waterfront Director and the American Red Cross Swimming Program.
* Organizes and directs activities of assigned students in order to provide a high level of
quality instruction for all students.
* Establishes positive public relations with parents/guardians of class students helping them
recognize and understand swimming developments and achievements.
* Resolves simple public complaints in matters related to swimming instruction and refers
other complaints to the Swim/Waterfront Director.
* Enforces pond safety standards and facility operational rules for all individuals using the
* Completes and submits records and documentation of completed lessons to the Swim/Waterfront Director
Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience
-- Must be at least 16 years of age.
-- Must possess American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification, or WSI
-- Must possess American Red Cross Training certification in Community First Aid and
CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
-- Ability to pass a prepared water test.
-- Must be willing to work mornings, mid-day, weekends, and holidays.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
-- Working knowledge of lifesaving techniques including backboard rescue.
-- Strong swimming and life saving abilities.
-- Ability to communicate effectively with patrons, supervisors, and other employees.
-- Ability to remain alert, attentive, and responsible.
-- Ability to be a team player.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally is exposed to wet
and dry conditions.
-- The employee may be exposed to stressful situations as a result of human behavior.
Summer Rec Program Counselor:
20-25 Hours Weekly
RESPONSIBLE TO: Recreation Director
SUPERVISED BY: Summer Rec Director & Asst. Summer Rec Director and Head Counselors for daily activities and overall job performance
RESPONSIBILITIES: Implement the daily lesson of the Summer Rec Program under the guidance and direction of the Summer Rec Director, communication with students and assure safety at all times. Assure adherence with established goals and objectives.
- Be aware of your enormous influence on the students in you’re in charge of and strive to model the highest ethical and moral conduct.
- Responsible for the children’s safety, participation and overall enjoyment of the programs.
- Take an active role in the prevention of drug, alcohol and tobacco use.
- Assist all students to develop to their full potential.
- Maintain a high level of safety and structure within the program.
- Complete incident/accident reports in the First Aid Log and immediately report such occurrences to Recreation Director.
- Build and maintain students spirits and morale.
- Report physical facility hazards in a timely manner to Summer Rec Director
- Assist the Recreation Director in all other duties assigned.
1+ years working with children. Specialized skills in special events, arts & crafts, sports, games and working with school aged youth.
Moderate physical effort required for work performed in the field. Required to spend several hours standing, walking, reaching arms and lifting under 50lbs.
Positions listed until filled. Please continue to check here or call our office for more information.
Additional Forms and Files: